- Blue – peaceful and calm, hi-tech and modern, reliable and loyal, but also cold and depressing, and the color of money. Banks and insurance companies like to use blue. Blue causes the opposite reaction as red, as it causes the body to produce calming chemicals.
- Green – natural and refreshing, calming and relaxing, youthful and healing. Used for traffic lights, in hospitals and in green rooms of TV networks – that’s where you wait to appear on the show. Dark green symbolizes masculinity, conservativeness and wealth.
- Yellow – cheerful and sunny, optimistic and boosting. Yellow enhances concentration and speeds metabolism, but can be overpowering if overused – it can cause people to lose their temper more.
- Purple – royal and luxurious, sophisticated and wealthy, authority and rank, feminine and romantic.
- Brown – solid and grounded, natural and smooth, but also sad and melancholic. Light brown connotes genuineness, dark brown is more grounded due to its appearing in wood and leather.
Note I left out style as an attribute. The connotation of style with a color depends on its current trendiness in a culture. At the moment, white is considered trendy and stylish in many western cultures – thanks to Apple.
Color as a company engine
All of a sudden, white was in. Why? Because a company like Apple managed to market the color as stylish. They connected their products to it. They derived the simplest thing into marketing heaven by branding their products in a new and exciting way. And it looked good. It looked absolutely terrific!
Having white earphones in your ear became trendy and stylish. There were the people with white earphones, proudly showing off their affiliation to an exclusive group of trendsetters, and there were the others, still using black earphones and a bit afraid to wear them in public.
By simply changing the color of their earphones from black to white, the brand with the apple, Apple, created a trend. Is it far fetched to say that the whole Web 2.0 design trend – gloss, shine and reflections – has been initiated by these products?